Monday, May 20, 2013

Baltimore - "The Greatest City in America"

I love Baltimore City. I love its varied neighborhoods. I love its history. However, on the way to my son's school I saw a city bench that read "The Greatest City in America". Now I'm obviously not the most observant soul as I'm sure this is not a new motto, but seriously, who came up with this one? How about some of the past ones? 


"Baltimore - Independent City" - independent of what?! of Baltimore County?! Tell that to my taxes.

"Get In On It" - (motto) - 2008 
This one I think was to promote tourism & to get people to move back to the city.


 
"Charm City" - (nickname) hmm, aren't we like the 9th rudest city?

 "The City That Reads" - okay, our literacy rate is getting better. 18th place in 2010 but Pittsburgh, yea PITTSBURGH! was 5th!! 


"Believe" - (motto)  what? What? 


"B-more" - (nickname) So much for the city that reads. oye


National Bohemian Beer Logo.gif
"The Land of Pleasant Living" - (brewery induced motto) Tell that to the 32.97% of 4 member household living below the poverty level. Think about that. Almost 1/3 of the households in Baltimore city! 



So yes, I think this new motto of "The Greatest City in America" is pushing it a tad. 


How about we just go for honesty. "Baltimore - Come For Our Crabs, Just Don't Blame Us If You Leave With Them"

No comments:

Post a Comment